The recession is crippling businesses across the nation, but several industries will remain unscathed by the current economic strife, according to recent Recession Updates published by industry research firm IBISWorld.
As one of the nation’s most respected independent publishers of business intelligence research reports, IBISWorld today announced the top 10 industries expected to have the largest revenue growth in 2009:
1. Voice Over Internet Protocol Providers (VoIP) – 20.1 %
2. ecommerce & Online Auctions – 12.6 %
3. Biotechnology – 10.3 %
4. Engine, Turbine & Power Transmission Equipment Manufacturing – 10.0 %
5. Scheduled Bus Service – 9.2 %
6. Court Reporting Services – 7.7 %
7. Community Housing Services – 7.5 %
8. Search Engines – 6.5 %
9. Family Counseling – 6.1 %
10. Video Games – 5.8 %
“Emerging industries remain well represented and continue to benefit from technological innovation and cost advantages,” explained George Van Horn, senior analyst with IBISWorld. “Unfortunately, the impact of the recession is equally pronounced among sectors directly benefiting from the social and financial stress associated with the downturn.”
While only five percent of all U.S. industries are fortunate enough to be positively impacted by the recession, IBISWorld research estimates that nearly 60 percent of all industries are negatively impacted or worse (illustrated in the pie chart above).